New Apartments at Abandoned 85 Attorney Street?

Posted on: July 26th, 2011 at 6:41 am by

It’s been way too long since we’ve spilled ink on the quiet, graffiti-laden corner of Attorney and Delancey Streets. Not too much has really transpired in the interim. Two summers ago, the long-dormant corner property, once home to Dream Nail, hit the open market for what would become an extended period.  And at about the same time, the rubble-strewn lot to the north at 91 Attorney was cleared, but again left for dead. Now there is some action to report here in the shadows of the Williamsburg Bridge overpass.

Workers have been clearing debris from the boarded building at 85 Attorney Street for the last week, according to Boogie reader NW. Our tipster also informs us that this derelict property is currently amidst a residential makeover. Said workers intimated that a bunch of apartments are slated for the four-story structure.  Condos or affordable living?

We also learned that the century-old 85 Attorney is another abandoned building reportedly owned by the mysterious team of Arthur and Abraham Blasof.  In fact, according to DOB records, the city issued a violation to Arthur Blasof just last month for:

FAILURE TO MAINTAIN BLDG IN A CODE-COMPLAIN MANNER. NOTED: AT REAR FACADE EXPOSURE #3 FIRE ESCAPE IS DETACHING FROM BLDG FIRE ESCAPE SUPPORT BRACKETS ARE HANGING & LADDER STAIRS BTW FLOORS ARE LOOSE & LISTING

The Blasofs also own 43 MacDougal Street which is still in a bad way.  The GVSHP is working hard to pressure the city into preserving and protecting this Greek Revival row house (c. 1846).

Recent Stories

Photo: Jmeyers44
Breaking: Explosion on 2nd Avenue, Tenants Reported Trapped in Collapse [Updated]

There are numerous reports that the mixed-use tenement at 121 2nd Avenue exploded shortly before 3:30pm. Flames quickly spread to the adjacent building at 123 2nd Avenue. Authorities say that the cause of the explosion is gas-related, and that there are tenants trapped in the collapsed wreckage. It’s being called a “7-alarm explosion.” Sushi Park […]

The Derby replaces Tiny Fork on Orchard St.
‘Pizza Beach’ on its Way to the Former Derby Space on Orchard Street

Ladies and gents, we might have a taker for Rob Shamlian’s embattled bar space at the corner of Orchard and Stanton Streets. The Derby (fka Tiny Fork) closed for good back in January, and advertised the business as for sale almost immediately. Looks like the controversial Martignetti brothers (Brinkley’s, East Pole) are grabbing the bait. According […]

Photo: LES Ready!
‘LES Ready!’ Town Hall Meeting Tonight at Grand Street Settlement

Tonight, Grand Street Settlement is hosting the Lower East Side’s Long Term Recovery Group for a Town Hall style info session. The aim is to ensure that if and when disaster strikes the neighborhood again, residents will be ready. LES Ready!, was born in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, and has been prepping the community in disaster awareness […]

cemusa-replacement-delancey
Cemusa Installs Replacement Newsstand at Delancey and Clinton

Back in November, a westbound drunk driver on Delancey Street reportedly rammed the local newsstand at the northwest corner of Clinton. The early-morning incident dislodged the Cemusa box from its sidewalk perch with ease, and the equipment was subsequently carted away. During the interim, its rectangular platform of concrete had been sitting exposed, a tripping […]

Photo: Ephemeral NY
Today in LES History: Forerunner of Con Edison Receives its Charter from the State

On this day in… 1823 – The New York Gas Light Company received its charter from the State Legislature. Headquartered at 102 Centre Street, the utility was tasked with replacing the whale-oil street lamps which were common since the 1760s. Their reach was the territory south of Grand Street. The advent of electric lighting in […]