Latest Stories In: Food
Bowery Hotel Introduces “Bowery Bear”
The inspiration behind the logo and image of the Bowery Hotel is steeped in the neighborhood’s rich gangland history. All the bell-hops and door-holders involved in the operation are outfitted in uniforms akin to the notorious Bowery Boys of yesteryear. Now the hotel is further capitalizing on these B’hoys by including a fuzzy new addition to guest rooms. Yessir. Introducing the Bowery Bear, complete with the Bowery Boy outfit of black “stovepipe” top-hat and red vest.
[Photo Credit: Bowery Hotel]
The traditional Bowery Boy generally donned the following accouterments:
- Black “stovepipe” top hat made from Beaver fur, carefully maintained.
- Hair slicked into a forelock with pomade, and cut short in the back
- Kerchief or cravat tied around the neck
- Red shirt
- Black silk vest or frock coat
- Black flared trousers, but with the cuffs rolled up
- High-heeled black boots
The advent of the Bowery Bear is undoubtedly just another case of what Yogurt the Wise would describe as “moichandising, moichandising.” It’s all about the Bowery.