Weekend Crime Recap: Murder, Rape, Assaults in Downtown Manhattan
- As we first reported, a 29-year-old man was fatally gunned down outside the Jose barber shop on Forsyth Street at around 9:30 pm Saturday evening. The victim, Nolita resident Charles Hernandez, reportedly placed himself in a cab to Bellevue, but died of his wounds. No suspects have been arrested at this time.
- A homeless raped a 31-year-old woman late Friday evening in Tompkins Square Park. She had been sleeping near the entrance at Eighth Street and Avenue B. Police arrested suspect Ruben Canales.
- Early Sunday morning, 25-year-old Jersey native Michael Jones was brutally stabbed to death on 14th Street near 5th Avenue. NY1 reports that he was a part-time coach for the New York Red Bulls youth training program. His severed ear was reportedly discarded in a pool of blood on the sidewalk. Cops are trying to determine a motive.
- Yesterday at 11:30 am, the 5-0 chased and arrested this dude behind Building 71 in the Masaryk Towers (the park in front of the Grand Street Settlement). We are told that there was some sort of dispute over money. Our tipster notes that he hasn’t seen that many cops flood the area since “Masaryk’s March Madness,” referring to the fires and the elderly man who jumped to his death before his wife’s funeral.
- Not quite the weekend, having transpired last Thursday, but close enough. Clayton Patterson relays word that a small group of youths chased down and badly beat another youth near Bowery and Prince.