Post Your LES Sandy Rescue and Relief Info Here
We’ve gotten a huge outpouring of people who want to help with Sandy relief and rescue efforts in the Lower East Side. Right now we’re operating with very limited resources so what might work best is if we open the floor to all of you.
Please use the comment section of this post as a message board to send and receive information. That way everyone can read it in real-time. As we get important information, we’ll tweet it and post it on Facebook.
Keep in mind that we are not official organizers of anything, we’re merely trying our best to give people a place to communicate. Please feel free to share links to other sites that have additional info.
Here’s one event for today that we’ve been covering to help the stranded seniors at the Seward Park co-op.
A group of us are meeting at 387 Grand Street at Norfolk tomorrow (Thurs) at 10:30 in the lobby area. The plan is to organize and walk the three stairways going door to door checking on people. There’s a few buildings in this coop, all with 3 elevator banks, so we will try to check on as many floors as we can.
Hoping security will not give us any problems….
Anyone wanting to help please come by. Or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- There’s also an amazing group of people over at https://lowereastside.recovers.org/ who have been mobilizing people to help out. Be sure to check their site for more info.
- If you have supplies to donate (flashlights, batteries, water) you can drop them off at CAAAV’s offices, 46 Hester Street. via the lo-down
- Volunteers needed at Seward Park High School, 350 Grand Street
- LoHo Realty & Concierge is giving out free water in front of its storefront office at 397 Grand Street, 917-796-5445
- RAIRAIKEN will cook free hot ramen for hungry neighbors Thursday– RAIRAIKEN, 218 e10th
- Tomorrow afternoon (Friday 11/2) starting at 3pm Pimps and Pinups will be handing out coffee and soup to their neighbors struggling with the aftermath of the storm. Gimmie Coffee! Brooklyn and Starbucks donated coffee and Hale and Hearty is supplying the soup.
- City Meals and Wheels to distribute meals outside of senior centers (senior centers will remain closed):
500 meals to City Hall Senior Center at 100 Gold Street
500 meals for Knickerbocker Village – 36 Monroe Street
1,000 meals For Smith Houses at 50 Madison Street.
Tomorrow Friday, November 2nd at around 11:30 am. This will all depend on traffic.
- TODAY THURSDAY 3-6 PM Will be staffed by National Guard, Salvation Army and volunteers run through the Mayor’s office, Council Member Margaret Chin’s office and the Chinatown Partnership.
Each individual will get 3 meals and 5 bottles of water.
-Smith Playground, Catherine Street btwn Cherry and Monroe
-Hamilton Fish, Pitt and East Houston
-Confucius Plaza, Division St
-Grand Street Settlement Houses (WATER ONLY)
Thanks to everyone who is lending a helping hand. We’ll do our best to get your information shared.