Recap: Jack Kirby Museum Pop Up Opens on Delancey

Posted on: November 5th, 2013 at 10:28 am by
Photo: Lori Greenberg

Photo: Lori Greenberg

Last night was the opening of miLES newest storefront project, the Jack Kirby Museum pop up. Lots of Kirby fans were in attendance to check out the amazing artwork on display and to meet museum trustee Rand Hoppe.

Museum trustee Rand Hoppe. Photo: Lori Greenberg

Rand Hoppe. Photo: Lori Greenberg

There was also a cool timeline showing Kirby’s life on the LES, which included census records from 1920, when the then three year old Kirby and his family lived at 131 Suffolk St, and 1930, when they were at 172 Delancey (just a few doors from the pop up museum).

Photo: Lori Greenberg

Photo: Lori Greenberg

The museum is open for one week. Scheduled talks are as follows:

Tuesday, November 5th at 7pm  – “Ya’akov Kurtzberg, King of Comics” by Arlen Schumer, award-winning comic book-style illustrator and author/designer of The Silver Age of Comic Book Art (Collectors Press).

Thursday, November 7th at 7pm – “Lower East Side Story” – A Reading and Conversation with Pete Friedrich, creator of “Lower East Side Story.”

Sunday, November 10th at 5pm – A conversation with James Romberger, fine artist and cartoonist known for his depictions of New York City’s Lower East Side.

Photo: Lori Greenberg

Photo: Lori Greenberg

Check out the Kirby Museum site and their facebook page for more info.

Recent Stories

Photo: Jmeyers44
Breaking: Explosion on 2nd Avenue, Tenants Reported Trapped in Collapse [Updated]

There are numerous reports that the mixed-use tenement at 121 2nd Avenue exploded shortly before 3:30pm. Flames quickly spread to the adjacent building at 123 2nd Avenue. Authorities say that the cause of the explosion is gas-related, and that there are tenants trapped in the collapsed wreckage. It’s being called a “7-alarm explosion.” Sushi Park […]

The Derby replaces Tiny Fork on Orchard St.
‘Pizza Beach’ on its Way to the Former Derby Space on Orchard Street

Ladies and gents, we might have a taker for Rob Shamlian’s embattled bar space at the corner of Orchard and Stanton Streets. The Derby (fka Tiny Fork) closed for good back in January, and advertised the business as for sale almost immediately. Looks like the controversial Martignetti brothers (Brinkley’s, East Pole) are grabbing the bait. According […]

Photo: LES Ready!
‘LES Ready!’ Town Hall Meeting Tonight at Grand Street Settlement

Tonight, Grand Street Settlement is hosting the Lower East Side’s Long Term Recovery Group for a Town Hall style info session. The aim is to ensure that if and when disaster strikes the neighborhood again, residents will be ready. LES Ready!, was born in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, and has been prepping the community in disaster awareness […]

cemusa-replacement-delancey
Cemusa Installs Replacement Newsstand at Delancey and Clinton

Back in November, a westbound drunk driver on Delancey Street reportedly rammed the local newsstand at the northwest corner of Clinton. The early-morning incident dislodged the Cemusa box from its sidewalk perch with ease, and the equipment was subsequently carted away. During the interim, its rectangular platform of concrete had been sitting exposed, a tripping […]

Photo: Ephemeral NY
Today in LES History: Forerunner of Con Edison Receives its Charter from the State

On this day in… 1823 – The New York Gas Light Company received its charter from the State Legislature. Headquartered at 102 Centre Street, the utility was tasked with replacing the whale-oil street lamps which were common since the 1760s. Their reach was the territory south of Grand Street. The advent of electric lighting in […]