Tattoo History: Charlie Wagner & Millie Hull Leave an Indelible Mark on the Bowery

Posted on: November 14th, 2013 at 11:09 am by

black_eyes_hull_wm

Let’s dive back into the tattoo history of the Bowery, kicking off with Charlie Wagner.

This man became another indelible mark on the history of the Bowery, and no, we’re not talking about the famous baseball player.

Wagner was New York’s most skilled and revolutionary tattoo artist of his day, plying his ink trade behind the partition of a “five-chair barber shop” on the Bowery, according to a 1943 New York Times article. Men and women in New York City sought his talented hand from the 1890s up until his death in 1953.

During this six-decade career, he even revamped O’Reilly’s groundbreaking tattoo machine and received his own patent in 1904 (#768,413).

charlie wagner tattoo

wagnerstanding_wm

The next artist worth noting is a kindred spirit, insofar as not many could get down with the rough-and-tumble Bowery set. Not only did she hold her own, she boasted her own shop.

Meet the Queen of the Bowery herself: Mildred Hull (aka Millie Hull), whose life was too short.

Millie was born in 1897, and later began her career in the circus as an exotic dancer. However, she was tattooed by Charles Wagner so often she eventually became known as the “tattooed lady.” By 1939 she owned her own shop called the Tattoo Emporium, which she shared with a barber and fellow tattoo artist. Many sources claim this man was Charlie Wagner.

mildred hull tattoo sign

Damn, Millie. That’s quite a sign!

The etymology of tattoo has soldiers and sailors embedded in it. Apropos for the Bowery wouldn’t you say?

Word origin time!! I was surprised at this, from Dictionary.com:

Word Origin & History
tattoo “signal,” 1688, “signal calling soldiers or sailors to quarters at night,” earlier tap-to (1644, in order of Col. Hutchinson to garrison of Nottingham), from Du. taptoe, from tap “faucet of a cask” (see tap (2)) + toe “shut.” So called because police used to visit taverns in the evening to shut off the taps of casks. Transf. sense of “drumbeat” is recorded from 1755. Hence, Devil’s tattoo “action of idly drumming fingers in irritation or impatience” (1803).

Oh, but that devil got to Millie. She committed suicide in August of 1947, drinking a vial of poison (we don’t have this commonality, not to worry).

mildred-hull-tattoos
We’ve got more for you…part three coming up.

Recent Stories

City Council Passes Bill for Increased ‘Urban Renewal’ Transparency

Earlier this week, City Council unanimously voted to pass legislation that would require the City to provide public access to urban renewal plans, which have been changing the real estate landscape of New York City for decades. Intro 1533-A, sponsored by Councilwoman Margaret Chin, would require the Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD) to […]

‘Buddy Warren’ Shuts Down Chrystie Street Gallery Shop

Buddy Warren, the eclectic Lower East Side gallery-cum-cafe, has gone dark. It closed last month after a nearly four-year stint at 169 Chrystie Street. A large leasing poster now covers much of the marquee. The last time Buddy Warren made headlines was with a January 2016 real estate listing for the space. Ownership did claim […]

Pier 42’s Rusted-out Shed is Getting Demolished

The existing shed sitting atop Pier 42 is undergoing demolition. It’s the first major step, albeit years behind schedule, toward the rehabilitation and development of the waterfront park. Indeed, the capital works project has been on the boards for five years with little to show for it but “interim programming” during warmer months. Revival is […]

Affordable Housing Lottery Launches for Essex Crossing’s 26-Story ‘Gateway’

This is the week of Essex Crossing updates. A torrent of news is coming out of the Lower East Side mega-project, with the latest being the launch of the affordable housing lottery inside the “Gateway” tower at Essex and Delancey Streets. There are a total of 98 affordable apartments up for grabs at 115 Delancey […]

Streit’s Matzo Factory Condo on Rivington Street Hits 3-Story Height

The unleavened grounds of the former Streit’s Matzo Factory are now rising. And in a big way. After nearly a year of foundation and underpinning work, the superstructure is beginning the proverbial skyward ascent. Now well past the plywood threshold. At last observation, the building is currently sitting at a roughly three-story height. As previously […]