Historic King Glassware Building on the Bowery Receives Rooftop Additions
King Glassware operated on the Bowery for some eighty-one years, ending its run this past March. The building owner purportedly ran the supply business and decided to hang it up. Since the closure, however, renovations galore.
Now some news that might anger local preservationists…
The Department of Buildings recently issued permits for a job to convert 112 Bowery into a full commercial property. It includes a change in Certificate of Occupancy as well as additions to the rooftop. Paperwork outlines new mechanical equipment and bulkheads for an elevator etc.
The new rooftop tumor of cinder-blocks is now visible from street level.
112 Bowery was built in 1877 by Julius Boeckell, and remains one of the few structrually intact buildings on the thoroughfare. According to the nomination request [PDF] to place the Bowery on the National Register of Historic Places:
[112 Bowery is] a four-story, three-bay brick loft building with cast iron details from Clinton Foundry, including ornate window hoods and an architrave over the first floor storefront. The building retains an original strap and wrought iron fire escape, 2/2 wood sash windows, and an intact cornice.
As for the ground floor, there will be no replacement retail. The CO application includes “Office use only” in its description.