Historic Belgian Block Pavers Uncovered on Orchard and Broome During Resurfacing Work

Last modified April 11, 2016 at 2:27 pm

Some routine resurfacing work within the last few weeks uncovered the paving methods of a previous generation of Lower East Siders. Several local streets were scraped bare three weeks ago as part of a $17.9 million job (#HW2CR16B) that includes resurfacing work in the boroughs of Manhattan and the Bronx. In doing so, the historic Belgian Block […]

Filed Under

Photo: Brooklyn Daily Eagle

That Time a Sniper Murdered a Shopkeeper on Orchard Street [HISTORY]

Posted March 31, 2016 at 5:13 am

As controversial owner-developer Ben Shaoul constructs his ten-story condo-plex at 196 Orchard Street, we thought it fitting to exhume some of the criminal history behind this high-profile Lower East Side corner. It was April 1934, and Mrs. Yetta Einhorn, 40, was standing in the doorway of her husband’s “cut-rate” bread shop at 198 Orchard Street. She had […]

Filed Under


Where Gangsters Prayed: Stepping Inside the Bialystoker Synagogue on the LES [PHOTOS]

Posted March 25, 2016 at 9:16 am

One small town in present day Poland spawned the bialy, the namesake behind “Bialystok and Bloom,” and an historic synagogue for its descendants here on the Lower East Side. More than a century in prayer, the Bialystoker congregation on Willet Street (i.e. Bialystoker Place) – a city certified landmark – survives as a living testament […]

Filed Under

Triangle Shirtwaist Fire in 1911, Photo: WIki

Today Marks the 105th Anniversary of the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire

Posted March 25, 2016 at 5:15 am

The chalked scrawls spelling names on the Lower East Side sidewalks today are a reminder of an event that forever changed labor laws in our country. It’s an annual memorial on the anniversary of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire, courtesy of the Chalk Project. This tribute marks 105 years since the tragic blaze. On this […]

Filed Under


Learn About the Jewish Gangs of the Lower East Side this Weekend

Last modified March 20, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Those with a penchant for learning about New York’s gangs of yesteryear should take note. Eric Ferrara, the author of Manhattan Mafia Guide & A Guide to Gangsters, Murderers, and Weirdo’s of NYC’s Lower East Side, has compiled a slide lecture that hones in on the multiple Jewish gangs operating on the LES from the 1890s through the 1950s. The standard-issue […]

Filed Under

Photo: Pastor Bob Subjenski

Deli, Wine, and Candy: How One Photo Captures Classic LES Stores at Their Height [HISTORY]

Last modified March 10, 2016 at 10:50 pm

This photo from 1954 perfectly encapsulates the immigrant Lower East Side of the middle twentieth century. Everything about it is great, from the legendary businesses to the peddlers and fedora-wearing elder photobombing the foreground. You’re looking at the northwest corner of Rivington and Essex Streets. Bernstein’s Delicatessen (#110) is sandwiched between Lipschutz Kosher Wines (#112) […]

Filed Under


Exhuming the Fabled Essex Theatre on Grand Street [HISTORY]

Last modified February 10, 2016 at 2:40 pm

​Finally, the day has come when a true photo emerges of the fabled Essex Theatre on Grand Street. We couldn’t understand how so few images of the movie house were public. Almost like it never existed. However. A Boogie reader shares the above image of the Essex Theatre in January 1985. It’s a side view […]

Filed Under


LES History Month 2015’s LES Stories; Photo by Cherylynn Tsushima

3rd Annual Lower East Side History Month is Announced for May

Posted January 22, 2016 at 10:32 am

With spring just around the corner (though, not without some snow first), so is the 3rd annual Lower East Side History Month. As in years prior, the event (sponsored by FABnyc and Downtown Art) is set to kickoff May 1, and will once again unite local businesses and organizations through celebrating the neighborhood’s rich and diverse cultural heritage. This […]

Filed Under


Once "The Hill," the city is transforming this area into a pedestrian plaza

Revisiting the Shantytown ‘Hill’ of the Manhattan Bridge Approach

Posted January 20, 2016 at 9:28 am

Grandiose visions are currently in play for the offset northern section of the Manhattan Bridge approach.  The small wedge of property that serves the sole purpose of providing a bike lane for inter-borough commuters is being converted into the Forsyth Street Plaza, a capital works project bringing amenities like table seating, “site furnishings,” bicycle racks, new trees, and […]

Filed Under

sheet music

Reel to Reel: Somewhere Over the LES Rainbow

Posted January 7, 2016 at 10:24 am

The amount of talent that emerged from the Lower East Side throughout the decades is immeasurable. Astounding, really. We narrow it down to a handful of world-renowned songwriters and composers who hailed straight from the Lower. Of course, we had the Yiddish Broadway on 2nd Avenue; but did you know that, were it not for some […]

Filed Under