Antique Signs at 97 Orchard, Part 2

Posted on: January 29th, 2010 at 6:33 am by

Thanks again to Derya Golpinar, Collections Manager at the Tenement Museum, for writing this exclusive article for Bowery Boogie!  Here is part two in the series…

This image has been archived or removed.

First, a quick recap before we dive in.  Yesterday, we spoke about our newest exhibit in the works entitled “Minding the Store,” and about a former tenant of 97 Orchard Street, Feltly Hats.  The other sign in the window is that of Louis Chock.

Louis Chock sign: The “Louis Chock” store was an underwear business located at 74 Orchard Street. They left the storefront and now run their business through a catalog.  We acquired this sign in 2005 after they closed down their brick-and-mortar store.

According to family lore, Louis and his wife, Hilda, came over in 1921 from Brest Litovsk (then Russia, now Poland) shortly after marrying. After officially starting the business by peddling socks on the streets, they opened their first store in 1923. By the 1950s, believe it or not, this small area of the Lower East Side was a supplier of 10 to 20% of all underwear in the United States! As recently as 30 years ago, there were over 50 stores in the LES all carrying the same merchandise.

This image has been archived or removed.

[© Collection of the Lower East Side Tenement Museum]

Thanks to Dave Favaloro for help with writing this post!

To reiterate, we are eager to hear from you! What LES mom and pop shops are/were your favorite? Do you have any memories of Feltly Hats or Louis Chock to share with us?

Recent Stories

The Ten Bells Rings in New Bushwick Bar

The Ten Bells is ringing in a new outpost – this time, not on the Lower East Side, but in Brooklyn. Bushwick, specifically. The natural wine bar has taken over a space that previously housed a Breaking Bad-themed coffee shop, Walter’s Coffee Roastery. The OG at 247 Broome Street is still alive and kicking, though […]

Graffiti Sheathed Burger King on Delancey Street Burns Out

Call it a BK bust. The Burger King on Delancey Street is no longer open. Enveloped in graffiti and plywood boards for the majority of the pandemic (owing thanks to a car that landed inside the restaurant) the fast food joint had nevertheless persisted. Rather than scrub the storefront, the franchisee took a page from […]

City Turbo Charges Essex Street Municipal Garage with Electric Car Stations

The municipal parking garage on Essex Street is charged up for a new future. That of electric vehicles. Last week, the Department of Transportation unveiled four new fast-charging stations in the carpark. The addition on the Lower East Side is the first in a rollout across the city for the technology, which provides an 80-percent […]

Bay Area Export ‘Beloved Cafe’ Aims to Serve by Month End on Allen Street

The Lower East Side will soon be flowing with golden milk. Beloved Cafe – a San Francisco-based vegan eatery and juice bar – is headed to 196 Allen Street. As previously reported, the new location is the first expansion for the company beyond its Bay Area environs. Ownership promises that the new cafe is to […]

Economy Candy Rebounds with New Store Layout

Economy Candy officially returned from the pandemic sidelines with a block party and fresh store layout. The celebration involved the Big Gay Ice Cream truck outside 108 Rivington Street, and Gotham chocolates parked inside doling free samples. In the remodel, the store did not lose any of its old-school-warehouse-meets-Willy-Wonka charm. And it’s now substantially easier […]