Aftermath of 202 Mott Fire; Pan American Closed
During the Thursday evening dinner rush last week, a blaze tore through the upper floors of 202 Mott Street. Dozens poured into the streets to watch numerous fire companies battle the beast. Thankfully no one was seriously injured – two firefighters sustained unspecified injuries, as did one 75-year-old woman. Plywood boards now occupy some window space on floors four through six.
This image has been archived or removed.
On a personal note, the mother of one resident at 202 Mott Street commented with the following:
My daughter lives on the 6th floor! My son is visiting her this week – we could have lost both both of them. They were not in the building at the time! Thank you Lord and NYC’s finest that everyone was spared.
Meanwhile, The Pan American on the ground level, which just opened in November, reportedly suffered water damage during the whole ordeal. And even though a sign in the window indicates that the establishment is currently closed for “restoration,” one employee informed us yesterday that they will hopefully reopen in the next couple weeks.