Fire at 101 Orchard Street [Upated]
From our vantage point, the roof of 101 Orchard Street is currently ablaze. Firefighters responding in force. Police have roped off the area with fire tape, as bystanders and local reporters huddle at the street corners for a better look. One onlooker said, “the smoke was like 9/11 out there.”
This image has been archived or removed.
The smoke is emanating from the same building that houses Congee Village on the ground floor. Drop us a line with more info or photos.
UPDATE 9:44: additional ladders brought in to check and secure the adjacent rooftops.
UPDATE 10:00: fire seems extinguished. One responder informs us that it was “fire in the ductwork” of the building, but that it started in the kitchen.
UPDATE 10:10: due to the fire response activity, northbound M15 bus is temporarily on detour.
UPDATE 11:00: a tipster familiar with the situation says that “since it was white smoke, not a grease fire…most likely an unclean flue.”
Below is a gallery of more photos: