When the Beastie Boys Walked the Bowery for “Yo! MTV Raps” [Video]
Saturday evening was the twenty-seventh annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Cleveland. Among the honored this year were the Beastie Boys. So, in celebration of the occasion, let’s crack open the time capsule and retrieve this classic cut from the vaults of Yo! MTV Raps.
This image has been archived or removed.
This hilarious segment, which originally aired in 1988, portrays the strikingly youthful trio (and DJ Hurricane) walking the Bowery with fly host Fab 5 Freddy. We see them commenting on their neighborhood “roots” and the importance of Chinatown. The show opens with some shenanigans at Confucius Plaza, but the gaggle of merry pranksters eventually makes its way north to the Manhattan Bridge and over to Chrystie Street.
We’ve penned a quick crib sheet in case you don’t wanna sit through the eight minutes. Although, you really should watch it all…
- Standing in front of the statue at Confucius Plaza
- Shootin’ the shit at Bowery and Bayard (2:55)
- The arches of the Manhattan Bridge approach (4:35)
- Walking north on Chrystie Street (5:00)
- Looking for 59 Chrystie Street which was an early residence of the band; also the name of the first audio segment of the song “B-Boy Bouillabaisse”on Paul’s Boutique. We hear of a blowout rooftop party there earlier in the clip (5:22). It takes them awhile to find it.
- Junction of Canal and Bowery, with view of Twin Towers (6:47)