Bowery Bank of New York Calendared for Landmarking
The Landmarks Preservation Commission will meet tomorrow morning to, among other agenda items, discuss the fate of the Bowery Bank of New York (aka Bowery National Bank). Situated at 124-126 Bowery (Grand Street), this six-story hunk of marble and granite is oftentimes confused with the Bowery Savings Bank (nay, Capitale) next door. Different institutions, different founding dates, different architects.
While the financial institution had been operating since 1865, the Beau-Arts-style Bowery Bank was designed and constructed in 1900 by prolific architectural firm York and Sawyer. These were the same folks behind the Federal Reserve Bank at 33 Liberty, the Greenwich Savings Bank on Broadway, and the New York Historical Society building.
Here’s a quick snapshot of the business timeline, gleaned from An Institutional History of Banks Operating in New York State (via Starting Roots):
Bowery Bank of New York
1865 – Established Bowery National Bank of New York
12/1/1888 – Convert State Bowery Bank of New York
1925 – Convert Federal Bowery National Bank of New York
12/1/1925 – Merge To Federal East River National Bank of the City of New York
12/1/1925 – Name Change To Bowery and East River National Bank of New York
4/1/1928 – Merge To Federal Bank of America National Association
1/1/1931 – Merge To Federal National City Bank of New York
3/1/1955 – Name Change To First National City Bank of New York
1/1/1962 – Name Change To First National City Bank
1976 – Name Change To Citibank, N.A.