Educational Alliance Announces Manny Cantor Center on East Broadway
This image has been archived or removed.
Renovation activities began almost exactly one year ago to upgrade the flagship Educational Alliance facility at 197 East Broadway. The $45 million, 22-month construction project aims to preserve the exterior and gut the interior “ensuring a new home befitting the dreams of everyone in our downtown community.”
Recent press materials reveal that the re-imagined property is henceforth dubbed the Manny Cantor Center, named for a 1921 emigre who “dedicated himself to giving back to his community.” Upon opening in the fall of 2013, the agency will ultimately serve more than 100,000 New Yorkers annually (roughly double the current numbers). Rabbi Joanna Samuels was named Executive Director.
According to its website, the Manny Cantor Center will offer the following:
- More early childhood classrooms.
- A comprehensive health & wellness center – including a state-of-the-art fitness center, innovative group exercise classes in 2 exercise studios, personal training, locker rooms, and showers.
- Community space to host arts & culture events, performances, lectures, adult classes and workshops, ethnic and cultural celebrations, and other special events.
- New space for all ages including Youth and Older Adults.
Plus enhanced facilities for these existing programs:
- The Art School
- The Educational Alliance Preschool
- Baby & Toddler Classes
- A new Lower East Side-based camp in addition to New Country Day Camp
- Edgies Teen Center
- College Prep
- Health & Fitness
- Art Galleries
- Whittaker Center
- Young Artists Program
- Head Start
- Early Head Start