Nativity Mission School on Forsyth to be Razed for New 7-Story Building
Tipped off by the telling rat poison signs in the windows, we knew the time had finally arrived for 204-206 Forsyth Street. This was the forty-year home of the Jesuit-run Nativity Mission School whose mission was to fight poverty on the Lower East Side. Memories of that hyperlocal service in this neighborhood will soon become a pile of rubble, and then swiftly reincarnated as luxury living. Given that demolition permits are already on file with the DOB, the five-story building probably won’t last through the end of the year.
Charles Saulson – known in these parts for tossing feces at the Sperone Westwater Gallery on the Bowery – purchased the 1927 vintage tenement (and adjoining lot) last year, and is now exercising his dream of luxury living here. Paperwork currently under review at the DOB reveals more on the inevitable replacement. The new construction will rise seven stories (80 feet) on the newly combined two parcels, and contain eleven units; total floor area is 19,860 square-feet. Other components include parking garage, bike storage, common recreation space (cellar), and private roofdeck for the seventh floor apartment.
ZArchitecture was tasked with designing the project, and describes 204 Forsyth as a “high-end residential development.”