‘Famous Oyster Bar’ Neons Will Soon Grace the Outside of Grey Lady
This image has been archived or removed.
These will burn bright outside Grey Lady
Fifty-five years of serving seafood to midtowners concluded at the end of January when Famous Oyster Bar shuttered. The restaurant first opened in 1959, and was run by the same Greek family until owner Angelo Agmonostopoulo died in 2010. Partner Ajit Saha took over thereafter, and held on until the end.
But what of that sexy vintage neon sign? Well, the fifties-vintage lights are now in the hands of a Lower East Side bar owner. We hear that Grey Lady co-owner Ryan Chadwick purchased the “Oyster Bar” twin signs, and will soon affix to the facade of his establishment at Allen and Delancey.
And so, the Grey Lady will soon be bathed in red. Like Kramer.