Check Out the 1939 Architectural Renderings for the Essex Street Market [PHOTOS]
This image has been archived or removed.
Architectural drawing of Essex Street Market in 1939, Photo: NYC Municipal Archives
The row of boxy Essex Street Market buildings from below Delancey to Rivington will soon fall. These brick warehouses, constructed in 1940 under Mayor La Guardia to move the pushcarts inside, are situated on SPURA lots currently designated for Essex Crossing redevelopment. But the decades-old resource will receive a brand new (expanded) facility on the site south of Delancey, where Olympic Restaurant heretofore resided.
So, in honor of the outgoing, let’s have a look at the original architectural renderings for the Essex Market buildings. Thanks to the NYC Municipal Archives, we have a nice little view into the documentation that preceded construction. State of the art.
What would the 1939 equivalent of the yuppie-esque “Scalie” look like?