Demolition Finally Underway at Moscot’s Former Delancey Street Home (for Real this Time)
The southeast corner of Orchard and Delancey Streets – the second home of Moscot for more than 75 years, and much later, a monument to graffiti – finally has its hot date with the wrecking ball. The ground floor fire in late December pretty much sealed the deal.
Sidewalk bridge and plywood sheds were installed over the weekend, signaling the commencement of takedown activities. The windows are also gone, including the classic “glasses made in one hour” insert that faced Orchard Street. (It’ll probably live on in some form of authentrification.)
Destruction of the two-story building, built in 1934, was certainly a protracted process. Its fate was known way back in 2012, when Moscot moved headquarters across Delancey (a story first reported here). But the property literally received a new lease on life when Wallplay moved in.
The Department of Buildings disapproved several demolition applications in the last in the interim, according to the database, but the one from two weeks ago finally stuck.
Once gone, owner-developer Helm Equities will construct a 120-foot luxury tower with 29,437 square-feet of total floor area split between residential and commercial. There are twenty-four rentals – floors three through eight will carry three units each, with duplexes rounding out floors nine through twelve. The ground-level retail space is 5,769 square-feet, and zoned for “use group 6,” which includes a restaurant. There is also a rooftop “recreational area” listed in the proposal. Also, the existing building at 120 Orchard Street will remain unscathed.
However, plans for the new building are still pending DOB approval.
Helm Equities (aka David Escava) purchased 86 Delancey (aka 118 Orchard) in 2012 for $4.8 million. This transaction was the proverbial nail in the coffin that forced Moscot across the street a year later. (It had been there since 1936.)