‘Harold Hunter Day’ Turned into a Weekend Festival this Year
The eleventh annual Harold Hunter Day upped its game for 2017. This year, the commemoration to the fallen skater spans nearly a week. Festivities began on Wednesday and continue through Sunday. As always, there will be a skate jam at the Coleman Skatepark.
Four months ago marked eleven years since the death of professional skateboarder Harold Hunter. Shortly after his passing in 2006, fans organized a skate jam meant to help cope and convey positivity in the skater community. It soon became an annual event. The Harold Hunter Foundation was founded a year later, and provides “support opportunity, and advocacy for skateboarders in NYC and beyond so they can reach their full potential as skateboarders and young adults.”
The format shifted to a spring Harold Hunter Day last year; it was generally held in October. “We had issues with the weather the last two years,” Harold Hunter Foundation co-founder Jessica Forsyth told us at the time.
Below is a schedule of the remaining Harold Hunter-inspired events:
FRIDAY, JUNE 2
6:00pm – 8:00pm
– Panel discussion hosted by the HHF, G-Shock, and The Boardr
– Amateur skaters competing in the HHF Wildcard Contest division of The Boardr Am will learn about working in the skateboarding industry from a panel of industry veterans (private event)
8:30pm – 10:00pm
– HH Weekend party at G-Shock SoHo (454 West Broadway, Manhattan)
SATURDAY, JUNE 3
10:00am – 5:00pm
– The Boardr Am featuring the second-annual HHF Wildcard Contest (Coleman Oval/LES Skatepark, Manhattan)
– Open to 20 local skaters, the winner of the HHF Wildcard Contest will receive an all-expenses paid trip to the finals at the Am Getting Paid contest in Montreal, Canada
6:00pm – 10:00pm
– HRLD Photo Exhibition presented by adidas and the HHF at the SoHo Arts Club (136 Bowery, Manhattan)
– Show will feature dozens of classic photos of Harold shot by more than 15 notable photographers from the skate industry; photos will be sold via silent auction with all proceeds to benefit the HHF
SUNDAY, JUNE 4
1:00pm – 6:00pm
– Harold Hunter Day XI Skate Jam (Coleman Oval/LES Skatepark, Manhattan)
– All-ages skate jam featuring pop-up “Best Trick” contests with cash and prizes, live music, and a massive product toss with free decks, headphones, t-shirts, hats, and more
Additionally, to coincide with HH Weekend, a limited edition HHF x HUF product capsule featuring co-branded socks and a t-shirt will be available on the HUF website, at the HUF NYC and LA stores, and at select retailers nationwide starting June 2 with proceeds to benefit the foundation. Plus, a limited edition HHF x Skullcandy Air Raid Speaker is currently available at the SHUT store on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, with proceeds benefiting the HHF.
If you knew Harold, then you know he loved a good meal. From June 1-18, longtime HHF restaurant partner Sweet Chick will once again offer a Harold-inspired dish with a portion of proceeds to benefit the foundation. Available at all three Sweet Chick locations (Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Los Angeles), the “Harold Special” features Boonkie Drumsticks & Sweet Corn Waffles (named after Harold’s beloved dog “Boonkie”), side of string beans, and Harold’s Lemonade (fresh-squeezed lemonade mixed with Harold’s whiskey of choice, Jack Daniel’s).