Bowery Boogie

Galerie Perrotin Adds itself to Classic Beckenstein Signage on Orchard Street

Beckenstein now shills for Perrotin on the Lower East Side.

Truth. In a sneaky stroke of the brush, Galerie Perrotin is now part of the S. Beckenstein story at 130 Orchard Street.

Fresh off its recent completion of additional upper-level exhibition space, the Paris-based gallery added itself to the classic red-white-and-yellow exterior signage. Take a look at the makeover. Perrotin mimicked the bygone storefront advertising by printing both namesake and teasers like, “world’s best artists” and “paintings, sculptures, and video installations.”

It’s seemingly another instance of so-called authentrification, whereby new businesses continue “seizing on elements that represent the area’s past and repurposing them as a design scheme.”

March 2013

As previously reported, DelShah Capital acquired 130 Orchard Street in August 2015 for $28 million and renamed it The Beckenstein. The stores were liquidated several months before news dropped that the Paris-based gallery signed on for a mind-blowing 25,000 square-foot flagship location across five levels, in what amounts to eight times the size of its former uptown location.

Polish patriarch Samuel Beckenstein started the business in 1919 with naught but a pushcart and eventually jumped into a retail store. In this neighborhood it would remain for decades, until its move to 39th Street in 2003.