Dangerous Carbon Monoxide Levels Force Evacuation of LES Buildings
Several buildings in Hell Square, including the Hotel on Rivington, were evacuated yesterday after manhole fires sparked dangerous levels of carbon monoxide around the block.
The subterranean fires happened at around 11am yesterday morning, prompting an evacuation of the hotel and the three adjacent buildings an hour later. It’s believed that the melting of last Saturday’s snowfall and the mixture of salt likely caused the flare-up (which is quite common after a storm).
A Con Edison worker told the New York Post that carbon monoxide levels were “very dangerous.” As in, deadly if inhaled for just a couple minutes.
The stretch of Rivington between Ludlow and Essex Streets remains shut off to vehicular traffic, but the sidewalks are passable for pedestrians. We’re told by utility workers and police officers that the area is now “safe.”