Merchant’s House Museum Files Lawsuit to Block 8-Story Hotel Development

Posted on: August 7th, 2018 at 5:07 am by

In case you missed it…

The Merchant’s House Museum is not going down without a fight. The landmark building on East 4th Street – the first to be designated as such in 1965 – two weeks ago filed a lawsuit to block the eight-story hotel proposed on its western flank, according to the Wall Street Journal.

As previously reported, this hotel would replace the one-story brick warehouse at 27 East Fourth Street that is currently a stable for food cart vendors. (The garage was built in 1945-46 by Herman Kron.) Museum staff and local preservationists remain concerned about the impact this major construction will invariably have on structural integrity. The Merchant’s House dates back to 1832 (home of the Tredwell family) and is considered New York City’s only 19th century family home that is preserved intact. Engineering and architectural experts have reportedly warned that the fragile site could potentially suffer irreversible damage if the hotel moves forward.

The legal filing names the Department of City Planning and developer Kalodop II Park as defendants, and alleges that DCP “violated state and city environmental quality laws by concluding that the construction of the hotel wouldn’t hurt the museum.” The lawsuit goes further, and alleges that Kalodop II Park, which owns the one-story garage next door, submitted false information to DCP in its environmental analysis about the effects of construction on the nearly 200-year-old structure.

Photo: NYPL

Even though the Landmarks Preservation Commission approved the hotel plans in 2015, the development must still circulate through the public review process, and ultimately requires approval from the City Planning Commission, City Council, and the mayor before any construction can begin.

“Given that the house is 186 years old, it’s fair to say that it’s extremely fragile,” Margaret Halsey Gardiner, executive director of the Merchant’s House Museum, told the paper. “It’s not going to be able to survive construction next door, I guarantee you.”

Recent Stories

Four Arrested After Knifing Attack in East Broadway Station

Four men were arrested Wednesday in connection with a stabbing inside the East Broadway F subway station, police said. The alleged attack transpired shortly before 8:30am when the suspects approached the 20-year-old victim and demanded money. When he refused, the perps stabbed him in the forearm. The foursome scattered, but police caught and arrested them […]

Another Petition to Fix the Traffic Bottleneck at the Williamsburg Bridge Approach

Any sort of long-term fix for the bottleneck at the Williamsburg Bridge approach remains elusive. In an effort to keep the issue from languishing as another political football, District Leader Daisy Paez drafted, and is circulating another petition. (Not online just yet.) The goal is to enact real change instead of “false promises and indifference” […]

Clayton’s Corner: One More for the Door [PHOTOS]

Lower East Side documentarian Clayton Patterson returns with his eponymous photo essay series, Clayton’s Corner. Patterson has documented thousands of locals posing at his front door on Essex Street over the last three decades. This unassuming neighborhood portal is legendary amongst locals, even though you probably haven’t heard of it. Hakki Akdeniz. Known professionally as Famous […]

Lower East Side Partnership is Leaving Orchard Street for Essex Crossing

The Lower East Side Partnership is packing up and on the move. Headed toward the greener pastures of Essex Crossing. And now, the space it called home for the last decade-plus is again available. A leasing sign is currently pasted in the window of 54 Orchard Street. The local business improvement district signed a ten-year […]

Bowery Building Razed for New Office Development

The old Bowery tenement that previously housed a restaurant supply company is coming down. In its place, a new five-story office building. Passing by 216 Bowery this week, we spotted half the structure eliminated behind a Black death shroud. Approved permits on file with Department of Buildings indicate that the stout brick tenement at 216 […]