Tenants Harassed by Croman Can Now Receive a Piece of $8M Settlement Fund

Posted on: August 10th, 2018 at 5:06 am by

Steve Croman on Mott Street, Feb. 2017

It’s time for “Crow man” to pay the piper.

For those who endured harassment from ex-con Steve Croman, who just got out of the clinker after an eight-month stint, restitution is on the way. Tenants who lived, or currently live, in one of the buildings owned by the controversial landlord (aka 9300 Realty) can now apply to receive a chunk of the $8 million in settlement money decided by the Attorney General’s office this past December.

Eligibility criteria is as follows: if residents are or were a tenant in a rent-stabilized or rent-controlled apartment owned by Croman between July 1, 2011 and the date of the agreement (December 20, 2017); they received a buyout of less than $20,000, not including any amount that purported to cover rent or arrears; and no other tenant in their apartment received money from the restitution fund.

There are allegedly several hundred current and former tenants who are eligible to apply. Claim notices along with forms were mailed to current and former rent-stabilized and rent-controlled tenants in Croman’s buildings this week.

The $8 million will be divided equally and distributed to tenants in installments over a period of 38 to 42 months, with the first installment coming as soon as the claims administrator processes all of the first-round claim forms.

“This office has zero tolerance for predatory landlords who seek to line their pockets at the expense of their tenants’ wellbeing,” said Attorney General Underwood. “Now, Croman tenants will finally get the restitution and protections they deserve as a result of this unprecedented settlement — the largest-ever with an individual landlord. We will continue to do everything in our power to ensure landlords play by the rules, and pursue them to the fullest extent of the law when they don’t.”

It’s also worth noting that the settlement requires over 100 of his residential properties to be run by an independent management entity for five years, plus an additional seven years of independent monitorship to oversee compliance with the terms of the consent decree, and provide regular reporting to the Attorney General.

Recent Stories

Work Underway at New Orchard Street Home of Scarr’s Pizza

Scarr’s Pizza is moving up the street. And the work has already begun. As previously reported, owner Scarr Pimentel applied to remove and transfer the liquor license to 35 Orchard (aka 34 Allen) in what was formerly the Lam & Associates insurance office. (A building now shared with Cheeky Sandwiches.) Community Board 3 signaled its […]

Pandemic Pitch: Essex Crossing Tries to Lease its Office Space

One of the crown jewels of the Essex Crossing mega project – namely, 350,000 square-feet of Class A commercial space – is also an Achilles Heel of sorts. And now, a first look. The Commercial Observer spilled ink this week on the challenges of renting this office space during pandemic times, even referring to the […]

Weeks-Long Closure of Nathan Straus Playground was Due to Parks Department ‘Oversight’

Until yesterday, the Nathan Straus Playground was locked up, leaving the community without a popular public amenity for three weeks. The playground, which abuts the Attorney Street cul-de-sac, had been closed without notice or communication from the city. Though the adjacent school, PS140, did have access. When reached for comment yesterday, the Parks Department admitted […]

Someone Sliced Away the Pride Flag from Sugar Sweet Sunshine

It’s not all rainbows for Sugar Sweet Sunshine. Already contending with a spate of garbage dumping on its doorstep, the sweets shop just lost its Pride flag in an apparent hate-driven action. It appears someone snipped the rainbow gay pride flag from the storefront of 126 Rivington Street. We’re told that it had hung here […]

Start of $1.45B East River Park Resiliency Project Delayed

The planned demolition of East River Park for the new coastal resiliency project is delayed, the city recently revealed. The initial scope of the $1.45 billion East Side Coastal Resiliency project pegged a start date of September 2020, when areas of the coastline would be roped off ahead of construction. That was the plan through […]