Couple Displaced by 78 Rivington Fire Seeks Aid for Recovery
The one-alarm fire at 78 Rivington Street last Saturday morning shuttered Sauce restaurant and devastated a couple of apartments on the second floor.
The blaze was apparently electrical, and emanated from the kitchen of the local Italian spot. No one was hurt, but damage in the building is reportedly extensive. Heat, gas, and hot water are not yet restored, but the management company reportedly provided electrical heaters and hot plates for remaining residents. However, the scent of fumes remains palpable.
Now, with the proverbial smoke cleared, at least two displaced residents are seeking aid directly from the community. Jenn Fraser and Michael Lugo have an apartment (2C) in ruins, so the couple kickstarted a GoFundMe campaign to raise money. Over $1,300 was raised thus far toward the lofty $15,000 goal.
Below is the appeal:
As 2018 is coming to a close, my boyfriend and I experienced what a lot of New Yorkers dread the most; escaping a fire in our building. We are very grateful to have gotten out without a scratch but the apartment (which has been in the family for over 50 years) is severely damaged (as you’ll see in the photos). We have both lost a lot of personal items but so happy and grateful my puppy Bananas is safe and sound. We know we are just ending the holiday season but we would be so humbled if you were able to assist us in putting our lives back together.
Meanwhile, we’re told that the firefighting activity atop 78 Rivington turned up asbestos on the rooftop, so the stairs are blocked off above the sixth floor.