Fifty Years on, Jimi Hendrix Fillmore East Shows Get Box Set Treatment

Posted on: November 27th, 2019 at 5:06 am by

More legendary music from the days of the Fillmore East is out of the vault.

Fifty years ago, the Band of Gypsys (Buddy Miles, Billy Cox, Jimi Hendrix) played four memorable debut gigs at the Fillmore — two on New Year’s Eve and two on New Year’s Day in 1969 and 1970. The recordings from these shows later served as a platter for Jimi Hendrix to cherry pick raw material from, and transform it into what would become his live album Band of Gypsys, released in March of 1970.

Later that year, Hendrix would go on to throw a party at 52 West 8th Street to commemorate the opening of his own Electric Lady Studios of which many Lower East Side and East Village bohemians (i.e. Patti Smith) would cross paths in its stairwell.

The original output from the four Fillmore shows contain previously unreleased recordings, unedited cuts, and out-of-print tunes, all wrapped up in a new box set called Songs for Groovy Children: The Fillmore East Concerts. It’s out now digitally, as five-CD set, or an eight-LP set.

Bill Graham opened the historic theater in 1968 as the East Coast sister to San Francisco, and attracted a slew of legacy performers in their prime. Other artists who graced the stage, among others, were Pink Floyd, The Doors, Allman Brothers, Jefferson Airplane, etc.

Built in 1925 as a Yiddish American vaudeville theater and film space called the Commodore Theatre, the building was designed by Harrison G. Wiseman. The inside housed Corinthian columns, painted murals, and proscenium arch. With 2,830 seats and a single screen, The Commodore became part of the famed Loew’s chain as the Loews Commodore, and later, the Village Theater.

After its Fillmore flirtation, 105 Second Avenue became the gay nightclub The Saint. And then a bank – Emigrant followed by Apple Bank.

Recent Stories

East Side Coastal Resilience Project Begins with Closure of Asser Levy Park

The $1.45 billion East Side Coastal Resilience Project is now underway, commencing with the partial closure of Asser Levy Playground near East 23rd Street. Plywood fencing arrived onsite shortly before Thanksgiving. Its placement signals the beginning of demolition work onsite. However, the park space isn’t completely sealed. During this initial phase, the handball and track […]

Police Seek Man in Connection with Mugging of 85-Year-Old Woman

Police this week released surveillance footage of the man wanted in connection with the mugging of an elderly woman on the Lower East Side. On the afternoon of November 18, the suspect approached an 85-year-old woman on Madison Street, near Gouverneur Street. He snatched her purse, causing the victim to lose balance and fall to […]

Schaller & Weber Planning New Restaurant on Cleveland Place

Schaller & Weber, the butcher-cum-eatery founded on the Upper East Side in 1937 by namesakes Ferdinand Schaller and Tony Weber, hopes to impart a new bar-restaurant entity on Cleveland Place in Little Italy. Principal and third-generation owner of the original, Jeremy Schaller, is on the Community Board 2 docket this evening to apply for a […]

Max Fish Finally Confirms Closure, Announces Hunt for New Space

The six-year-old Max Fish reboot at 120 Orchard Street is not reopening. The bar closed at the outset of the pandemic and did not return. Back in September, we broke the news that Max Fish co-owner (and founder), Ulli Rimkus, is trying to sell the assets (Ulli Bar Corp) to a different corporate entity. Paperwork […]

SantaCon NYC Bar Crawl Canceled Due to COVID-19

Santa Claus isn’t coming to town, after all. The novel coronavirus also came for SantaCon. The annual day of debauchery was canceled just like everything else in 2020. According to the official SantaCon website, all of the reindeer “Got the ‘rona,” scrapping the usual shitshow of costumed, drunken revelers parading around the city. “Once it […]