Free Kosher ‘Grab and Go’ Meals Available on the LES
Kosher “Grab-and-Go” meals are now available on the Lower East Side for those in need during the pandemic.
Folks can now pick up free meals on weekdays at Public School 134 (293 East Broadway). This spot, alongside the Washington Heights outpost (P.S. 48, located at 4360-78 Broadway), are the first two kosher-specific locations since the Department of Education began its initiative a few weeks ago.
When the “Grab and Go” program was first introduced for those who keep kosher, there were some initial hiccups – meal rotation, lack of supply, late deliveries – but those concerns are more or less sorted out now.
According to the NYC DOE site:
Kosher meals follow the USDA meal nutrition guidelines and are produced in partnership with a certified kosher distributor. Their kosher meal sites are housed in DOE school buildings and staffed by DOE food service staff. Meals offered at our kosher meal sites are free and available to any New Yorker that requests them.”
Some additional guidelines for the Grab and Go meals:
- Meals can be picked up at all Meal Hubs 7:30 am to 1:30 pm, Monday through Friday
- Meals Hubs will operate for children and families from 7:30 am to 11:30 am, and for adults from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm
- No one will be turned away at any time
- All adults and children can pick up multiple meals at one time
- Vegetarian and halal options available at all sites
- No dining space is available, so meals must be eaten off premises
- Parents and guardians may pick up meals for their children
- No registration or ID required
More information for the Grab and Go program can be found here.