Hamilton Fish Park Pool to Reopen by August 1
In an about-face, the city announced yesterday that at least fifteen public pools will reopen across the Five Boroughs.
Included in the lucky list is the Hamilton Fish Park pool, known to locals as the “Pitt Pool.” But the cooldown will have to wait another month.
The reopenings are scheduled for August 1, and are part of the budget agreement the mayor and City Council finalized yesterday. The city reportedly allocated $5.3 million to hire 716 positions, including $3.6 million for pool staff.
The decision is a 180 for Mayor de Blasio, who initially stated city pools would remain closed for 2020 due to fears of transmitting COVID-19. Yet with extreme heat on the way, there might be additional pressure to reopen sooner than August.
The pools considered include:
- Manhattan: Hamilton Fish Park, Jackie Robinson Park, Wagner, Marcus Garvey Park
- Bronx: Crotona Park, Mullaly Park, Haffen Park
- Brooklyn: Sunset, Betsy Head Park, Kosciuszko
- Queens: Astoria Park, Liberty, Fisher
- Staten Island: Lyons, Tottenville