Report: Faulty Wiring Caused Blaze that Destroyed Historic East Village Church
The Fire Department on Friday concluded that the cause of the 6-alarm fire that tore through 48 East 7th Street and the adjacent church was “faulty wiring.” Officials went on to state that the massive blaze was deemed “non-suspicious.”
The flames engulfed the vacant tenement on December 5 at around 5:00am, and quickly spread next door, leaving the 128-year-old Middle Collegiate Church completely hollowed out. This was the second electrical fire at this address in less than a year.
More than one hundred firefighters battled the blaze for over seven hours, four of whom sustained minor injuries.
Middle Collegiate Church plans on rebuilding.
FDNY Assistant Chief John Hodgens provides an update from the scene of this morning’s 6-alarm fire at 48 East 7th Street in Manhattan. Read more: https://t.co/Pd7XgtfwlD. Photos shown here were taken earlier in the operation. (Photo Credit: FDNY Response Videos) pic.twitter.com/M5smab1nmi
— FDNY (@FDNY) December 5, 2020