Pomp and Prayer: A Synagogue for the Stars and Sculptors on the Lower East Side

Posted on: February 12th, 2021 at 5:03 am by

Like so many other former Lower East Side synagogues, 58 Rivington Street is a misnomer, now private residence and studios. In contrast to its religious history.

But this house of worship – known for much of its life as the First Warschauer Congregation – later became one for the stars. Celebrities of the neighborhood. Among the frequent congregants were the brother-composer-lyricist team of George and Ira Gershwin (both of whom grew up around the corner on Eldridge Street), Republican New York Senator Jacob Javits, the film producer Samuel Goldwyn (co-founder of MGM), and the comedian George Burns (who lived on the east end of Rivington Street near current Masaryk Towers).

However, the roots of this synagogue go deeper, back to the turn of last century. Immigrants from Lasi in Romania originally settled on the Lower East Side and established their synagogue at 131 Hester Street. In 1903, the congregation planned a spectacular upgrade for 58-60 Rivington, which at the time, were three-story brick buildings. The real estate was demolished that year, and the congregation tapped architect Emery Roth for design duties. The synagogue reflected the Moorish Revival style that harkened to the pre-Inquisition days of relative freedom in Spain.

The following year – in September 1904 – the congregation’s scrolls moved from Hester Street to the new Rivington Street synagogue. This was big news at the time. The New York Times remarked, “The east side yesterday saw a parade the duplicate of which, it is said, had never occurred before in this country.”

According to the write-up, thousands lined the streets, with 300 policemen escorting the marchers.  The scope of the procession was such that it took four hours to complete. A band led the parade, followed by an open carriage in which four men rode; two held staffs with the flag of Zion and the others held “a gorgeous cushion, on which rested a key of solid gold.”

Despite the pomp and circumstance, financial problems began mounting shortly after its debut. Apparently, the construction costs caught up with the congregation, which eventually closed in 1907. The First Warschauer Congregation, founded in 1889 by Polish Jews from Warsaw, purchased the property, and moved from 84 Suffolk Street a few blocks to the east.

By 1973, though, the building was vacant and a shooting gallery for junkies. Hale Gurland, a sculptor living in SoHo at the time, described the scene to Interview magazine, “People were going inside the building because the doors were out, junkies were shooting up. I walked in, and the place looked like Dresden after the bombs.”

Gurland had seen a “for sale” sign, and was interested. Yet, it wasn’t until six years later that his career afforded the ability to purchase the derelict synagogue. He transformed the space into artist studios and living quarters, but kept the facade mostly intact.

He still lives and works there.

Recent Stories

Small Business Owners ‘Permanently Close’ to Demand COVID Relief

Local small business groups, along with the Cooper Square Committee, East Village Community Coalition, and Village Preservation are hosting a rally today in the name of economic survival. It’s part of a statewide week of activism to find commercial rent relief in the city. With that, businesses who fear forever closure due to rent burdens […]

Fired Laundry Workers Accuse Liox Cleaners of ‘Union Busting’

The Liox Cleaners chain is facing a raft of opposition in the wake of alleged “union busting.” Tuesday afternoon saw the first of two picketing actions outside the Allen Street location, just north of Delancey. According to the distributed literature, “On February 19, the Liox laundry chain fired the immigrant woman workers of the Wash […]

CB3 Signals Approval of Parkside Lounge Rooftop Expansion

Parkside Lounge now has official community backing for its rooftop expansion. Operating at the corner of East Houston and Attorney Streets since 1997, the bar is struggling to make ends meet during the pandemic. To alleviate, it’s headed upstairs with a plan to add seating on the rooftop of the one-story building. Co-owner Christopher Lee […]

Doughnut Plant Heads to Saudi Arabia with Latest Expansion

After surviving a three-month, pandemic-induced closure in the latter half of 2020, Doughnut Plant is pushing its business model forward. And once again, expanding overseas. The Riyadh, Saudi Arabia locale marks the eighth iteration for the Lower East Side born empire (if you count the Japan outpost), and the first for the Middle East. And […]

‘Crab du Jour’ Hoists New Signage Above Grand Street

In case you missed the small-time signage on Grand Street, Crab Du Jour is now making its presence known. The seafood chain announced its arrival on the Lower East Side in early January, but only now are the pieces really falling into place. It takes the spot left vacant by La Flaca last summer after […]